Dr.Naga Kothapalli, M.D
Dr. Kothapalli, MD currently works as a psychiatric clinical researcher at Siyan Clinical Research. He has extensive clinical research experience in psychiatric disorders and substance abuse disorders.
- Perform psychiatric research interviews not limited to structured question-and-answer interview style to obtain accurate clinical information and identify the presence and rate the severity of symptoms; (Using SCID;MADRS; PANSS)
- Diagnose need for and prescribe medications/tests and initiate appropriate course of action/treatment of study subjects in accordance with clinical trial objectives;
- Conduct rater-training programs and establish reliability across all levels using demonstration interviews before beginning each new study to reduce scoring inconsistencies;
- Review screening documentation and approve subjects for admission to research study;
- Design and develop study methodology, set project standards, and monitor progress in accordance with the study-specific requirements;
- Review Investigator’s Brochure prior to initiating any research study-related activities;
- Explain the purpose of the interview and obtain patient’s Informed Consent and all Sponsor approvals prior to performing any research interviews;
- Perform all study responsibilities (or delegate as necessary) in compliance with the IRB-approved protocol;
- Perform basic behavioral science research, interpret/analyze all study data, and comment on the clinical significance of any out of range results;
- Document findings in study source documents;
- Ensure proper documentation and reporting of All Adverse Events and Serious Adverse Events, as appropriate;
- Train and supervise research assistants/NPs, and delegate study responsibilities as appropriate;
- Assist in preparing manuscripts and grant applications to obtain extramural funding;
- Complete all appropriate study and treatment records, ensuring compliance with policies and procedures;
- Develop and maintain psychiatric skills through continuing education and maintain active unrestricted medical licensure and DEA certification.
- Conduct clinical case review with project hope coordinator and therapist to assist patient center customized plans for effective treatment of addiction.
- Siyan Clinical Research (SCR), a nonprofit organization headquartered in Santa Rosa, CA, has expanded Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) to target crisis rates of Opioid Use Disorders (OUD) among residents ages 18+ in rural area of Northern California. The catchment area includes the opioid hot spot of Lake County, as well as Mendocino, Sonoma, and Marin Counties.
- This MAT program — Project Hope – is a 12-month outpatient OUD program, with a 6-month follow-up, serving an average of 100 adults annually (300 total), providing concurrent, comprehensive, and evidence-based OUD psychosocial services and recovery support. Project Hope – MAT Services will be conducted over a period of three years, from October 1, 2018 to September 30, 2021.
- Project Hope utilizes evidence-based practices, using Motivational Enhancement Therapy/ Motivational Interviewing (MI), Stages of Change, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Trauma-Informed Care, Intensive Case Management (ICM), Relapse Prevention Therapy (RPT), and 12 Step Facilitation Therapy (TSF).
- STUDY 1: A study of morphometric changes occurring in the fronto-limbic region of the brain with relevance to progression of bipolar disease in children and adolescents.
- STUDY 2: Bipolar spectrum study:Investigation of possible brain anomalies specifically in the prefrontal lobes and amygdala in adult patients with bipolar disorders.
- STUDY 1: N-acetyl cysteine as a potential treatment for methamphetamine dependence.
- STUDY 2: Perindopril as a potential treatment for methamphetamine dependence.
- STUDY 3: Modafinil and Escitalopram as potential treatments for cocaine addiction.
- Faculty Journal Club Presentation: Assorted Collection of Review and Original Research Articles, St. Mary Mercy Hospital Livonia, MI, (06/2016)
- Case Conference: A curious case of hallucinations. Pathological grief versus Psychosis St. Mary Mercy Hospital Livonia, MI, (05/2016)
- St. Mary Mercy Hospital Annual Research Day – Mania at home. Effects of the internet,(3/ 2014)
- International: Lamba P, Penumetcha V, Naga Kothapalli, Amaratunga P, Matta F, Farooq N, Lemberg B, Lake C, Mahlmeister C, Wedes S. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (TDM) of Carbamazepine and Divalproex Using Saliva as a Matrix, American Psychiatric Association, 168h Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, (05/2015)
- National: Naga Kothapalli, Priya Kumar, Pankaj Lamba, Nabila Farooq. Mania at home. Effects of internet. , American Psychiatric Association, 167h Annual Meeting, New York, NY, (05/2014)
- National: Priya Kumar, Naga Kothapalli, Pankaj Lamba, Nabila Farooq. Psychosis Vs. Obsession: A Challenging Case of a Pregnant Woman Hearing Voices. , American Psychiatric Association, 167h Annual Meeting, New York, NY, (05/2014)
- Regional: Jipin Xiao, Phillip Gunnell, Donald Liebman, Ashwini Gulwadi, Abhishek Rai, Priya Kumar, Naga Kothapalli,, Samuel Wedes: Methylphenidate for Violent Behavior in an Adult with Intellectual Disability. St. Mary Mercy Hospital Annual Research Day, (3/2016)
1.Psychiatric Clinical Researcher: Siyan Research Corporation (July 2017-Current)
Roles and Responsibilities:
2. Co-Investigator: St. Mary Mercy Hospital Livonia Michigan (2014-2017)
3. Research Assistant: Department of Psychiatry, University of Health Sciences at Houston, TX (May 2010-May 2011)
4. Research Coordinator: Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX (July 2010-Nov. 2010)
1. (October 1, 2018-Ongoing) Project Hope is a federally funded program by Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Grant No. 6H79TI081478.
2. ITI-007 Bipolar Depression Program 401 and 402 Studies. Clinical research studies are looking at a potential new treatment – an investigational medication – for major depressive episodes associated with bipolar disorder (bipolar I or bipolar II disorder) (July 2017 to December- 2018)
3. Co-Investigator – Therapeutic Drug Monitoring of Divalproex and Carbamazepine by Use of Saliva. (2014-2017)
4. Co-Investigator – Factors Effecting Length of Stay in Mental Health Unit at St. Mary Mercy Hospital Livonia MI. (Concluded 2014)
5. Research Assistant: (May 2010-May 2011)
6. Research Coordinator: (July 2010-Nov 2010)